POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rain Forest : Re: Rain Forest Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rain Forest
From: gerberc
Date: 24 Mar 2005 16:05:01
Message: <web.42432a53267da791190422530@news.povray.org>
"Marc Jacquier" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote:

> Gorgeous!!
> It could do an excellent picture for an adventure book.
> Do you use eval_pigment to choose which specie will be found at this or that
> place or do you use it instead of trace()?
>
> Marc

Actually both functions are needed. The principle is not new, it has been
discussed here earlier. In this scene I used eval_pigment() and a spotted
pigment to distribute the trees and trace() to find the exact height of the
height_field at a given position.

You could do the same thing with random distribution of the trees but I
think a little structure in the forest looks better.

Christoph